Before using any filter-cleaning product, swimming pool must be full and operating.
It is recommended that the filter be cleaned anytime within the 6 weeks before you close the pool or within the first two weeks after you open the pool. But if you have never cleaned the filter it can be done at any time. It is also recommended after an episode of algae.
- Backwash the filter for a minimum of 3-5 minutes.
- Turn pump off. Return the dial valve to filter position.
- Dilute package of Filter Brite into a 20L pail of water. (always add the chemical to the water)
- Open strainer pot (where pump basket is) and begin to pour the solution directly into it, with the pump still turned off. With your face away from the strainer pot, turn pump on for 5 - 10 seconds, while continuing to pour the Filter Brite solution into the strainer pot. When you have poured all of the solution in, turn power off. Replace the lid on the strainer pot. Turn the dial valve immediately to the BACKWASH cycle. If you have shut off valves, close them.
- Let stand overnight, (minimum of 6hrs) with pump off.
- In the morning, re-open the shut off valves, turn the on the pump ON BACKWASH and backwash for at least 5 minutes (usually requires 8 - 10 minutes), or until the backwash water runs clean. This means that you may have to add extra water to the pool beforehand.
- Turn off pump and turn dial valve to the RINSE cycle. Turn pump on and rinse for 30 - 60 seconds. Then turn pump off.
- Return to FILTER position and operate as usual.
Caution: On pools with brominators or chlorinators, always close the inlet valve or remove the bromine or chlorine from the unit, to prevent the Filter Brite solution from getting inside.
Filter Brite should be used at least once per season, to keep filter sand clean and filter operating efficiently. Ideally, fall is best for filter cleaning while the sand is still nice and loose. You should always clean your filter after any major algae problem. You should never have to change the filter sand if you use these products yearly.
Printable PDF version